Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Growing up I do not remember ever knowing anything about Ash Wednesday. I am Baptist and that just did not ever hit my radar. My funny story about Ash Wednesday is that when I was in college I almost told a girl that she had a black smudge on her forehead but my girlfriend stopped me and told me what it was. Somehow I missed seeing this in High School. Must have been oblivious.

In the last several years, our church has had an Ash Wednesday service. We use the service as a prayer service and acknowledging what Christ means in our life. We can choose to give something up for Lent as a way to focus on Christ prior to Easter.

I haven't decided yet if I will be giving something up for Lent. If I did, what would that be? Giving up chocolate would sure help with weight loss (not the right purpose). Giving up TV would kill me (probably the right purpose). Could I just promise to focus on Christ's death and resurrection without giving something up? The answer is yes. But will you do it? Whether I give up something or not, I do need to make a more focused effort to reread the Easter story, contemplate on what Jesus did for me, and look for service opportunities to show Christ's love through me.

1 comment:

One Shabby Old House said...

Your post about the smudge on the head made me laugh because I too grew up Baptist and we just did not do this so seeing people in public with the mark made me always want to tell them they had some dirt on their heads. lol. However I have been thinking about this practice alot. Thanks for making me know that I was not the only one who almost spit wiped a friend.
Becky