Monday, December 31, 2007
Hope you have a wonderful 2008. I'm looking forward to this year and besides the normal exercise more, eat less, pray and read your bible more resolutions, I'm going to work at being the best Grandma ever!
Friday, December 28, 2007
For my 100th post - I give you 100 facts about me!
100. My spiritual gifts are service and exhortation.
99. I MUST check my e-mail every day.
98. I have a borderline obsession with yard sales.
97. I lived in Indiana for 10 years.
96. I wanted to be an OB nurse after I had my first child.
95. I have osteoporosis but am medicating, so hopefully my bones will get better.
94. My favorite Christmas movie is White Christmas.
93. I cannot stand the taste of artificial sweeteners.
92. I volunteer at a local hospital in the OB Unit.
91. I was very thin until about 30!
90. I have auburn colored hair but it is quickly fading to brown.
89. I pray before I go to sleep but sometimes fall asleep doing so.
88. I have an unhealthy addiction to the TV.
87. My favorite color is yellow.
86. I really like my ipod. Listening to Eagles, Carpenters, Beatles, Third Day and more
85. Is the year my second child was born.
84. I love the smell of coffee, but I don't drink it.
83. My Bath and Body Works scent is Japanese Cherry Blossom.
82. Is the year my first child was born.
81. My favorite number is 7.
80. Is the year I married.
79. The only diet soda I like is Orange Sunkist. Diet Pepsi isn't too bad.
78. Is the year I graduated High School!
77. I couldn't remember my husband's name when we first met.
76. I make lists for everything.
75. My wedding color scheme was rainbow with an emphasis on yellow.
74. I am VERY family oriented. I keep in touch with 3rd cousins and great aunts.
73. I cry easily. Sad movies, touching stories, injustices, meanness, etc.
72. I hate snakes.
71. I worked half a day my Senior year of High School.
70. I am a planner.
69. I DVR Oprah, the View, The Closer, Survivor, and the Medium.
68. I have four labs. Belle, Cocoa, Luke and Scout.
67. I walked down the aisle to “Time in a Bottle.”
66. I love sewing, crocheting and cross stitch.
65. I love the smell of gasoline.
64. I love warm weather. I could live in Hawaii for sure.
63. I was the "Most Likely to Succeed" in 8th grade.
62. I worked at two steel mills in Northwest Indiana.
61. I drive a Honda Accord.
60. Once in awhile, I watch Lifetime or Hallmark TV all day.
59. Was the year I was born.
58. I love to nap on Sunday afternoons.
57. I learned how to whistle watching the Bridge On the River Kwai and Andy Griffith.
56. I played volleyball in 7th-8th but wasn't very good!
55. Red Lobster was my first date with my husband. I dislike fish.
54. I like watching chic-flick movies when my husband is out of town.
53. I read CNN, MSNBC and Fox daily.
52. I smoked a cigarette at church camp. Never smoked again.
51. I hate being late.
50. I love to sleep in. But it is not much past 8 a.m. anymore.
49. My favorite author is Jodi Picoult.
48. I love listening to the Eagles!
47. I have a hard time going to bed. I'm a night person.
46. I love watching sport teams play that I root for.
45. I enjoy making gifts for people.
44. My husband makes me laugh. He's my best friend.
43. I love to rock a baby.
42. I miss my grandparents.
41. I was on the yearbook staff in High School.
40. I talk too much and need to listen more.
39. I like to eat chocolate chips and cookie dough.
38. I've been in every state but two (Delaware and Alaska).
37. I enjoy baking.
36. I would like to reconnect with childhood friends.
35. I hold my nose when swimming underwater!
34. My dream is to travel abroad.
33. I stink at playing Trivia Pursuit! I only get the Entertainment questions.
32. I enjoy playing cards and other games with my family and friends.
31. My memory is not what it used to be.
30. M&M's are my weakness.
29. I love to take pictures. My digital camera is great!
28. I took easy classes in High School because I was afraid of not getting A's.
27. I attended a country elementary school.
26. I'm so very proud of my children.
25. I love to go antiquing with my friends and daughter.
24. I made concert choir my Freshman year of High School.
23. Nichole Nordeman is my favorite Christian singer.
22. My feelings get hurt easily.
21. I love doing crafts. Seeing something get completed is a good thing!
20. Is how old I was when I got married.
19. Dirty Dancing is my favorite movie. No one puts Baby in the Corner!
18. I use to bite my nails but now they are long and polished.
17. I love chocolate!
16. I sang "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth" at a school program.
15. I've been married 27 years. Met my husband in college.
14. I only went one year to college. But it was a great year!
13. I am a peacemaker.
12. I am the least competitive person in my family.
11. I'm a St. Louis Cardinal fan.
10. I am the youngest child of three. The only girl.
9. I'm working on coming up with 100 goals for my life and only have 43.
8. I like sending cards to people but don't do it enough.
7. I fell and hit a coffee table when young and have a scar on my forehead.
6. Is how old I was when I was saved and baptized.
5. I was a cheerleader in 7th-8th grade!
4. I hate it when people are not respectful.
3. I'm excited about being Grandma!
2. Pregnancy was easy for me.
1. I love technology! New gadgets.
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
We had our immediate family's Christmas on the Saturday before due to schedules. We traveled to our daughter's home because she is 9 months pregnant and not traveling. We had a great time, great food and fun presents. I also was able to help with getting the baby's nursery ready for her -- that was fun. One of the gifts I received was an Ipod Nano. I'm pretty excited about playing with this new toy. I've already put more than 300 songs on it and looking for more CDs to add to it. My son also got me a set of speakers so I won't have to use the earbuds all of the time.
My daughter and SIL bought me a beautiful necklace with my initial on it. I've been wanting one like this for some time. The initials are similar to the picture on the left. I don't have a picture of the actual necklace. They also gave me silver ice bucket that is very chic.
Monday, Christmas Eve, we hosted my husband's family at our house. We take turns around the family and this year was us. We had 13 family members and served brisket and turkey along with mashed potatoes and then family members brought vegetables, salad, appetizers and goodies. I prepared a punch that was very popular. I used 1 quart cranberry juice, 1 c. sugar, 2 c. orange juice, 1 c. pineapple juice, 3/4 c. lemon juice, and 2 c. ginger ale. I substituted the sugar with Splenda and only added to taste.
For the place settings, I sewed a Christmas stocking for the silverware and a quilt square for table decoration using the same material. For the nameplate I scanned a piece of the material and then created a name tag in Word. Everyone really liked how all three coordinated.
Now it is time to rest for a week or so before the grandbaby comes. Our daughter just found out that she will need to have a C-Section because the baby is breech, so our calendars are marked for January 9.
This has been a rather long post, but before I sign off, I wanted to introduce a new blog. My daughter and SIL started a new blog entitled Continue the Conversation. Check it out -- they list many ways where you can give back to the community and the world.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Please Lord bring me closer to you during this special season of your son's birth.
I bless Your name.
Thank you for loving me.
Thank you for blessing me,
with the hope and fullness of a life in Christ.
I put my heart’s desires in Your hands;
please bring water to the arid land of my soul.
Set Me free from expecting You
to look like I think You should look,
to act like I think You should act.
Let me relax in Your strong love
and trust You to care for me
as You deem best.
Because You love me.
I can trust you.
- Louis Evans, Stones of Rememberance
Friday, December 14, 2007
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
The tree to the left is a cedar tree that was like a big Christmas tree close to our house. I'm not sure we are going to be able to save it. The top broke off and several other branches.
The tree on the right is a large tree in our front yard. It has broken several large branches. Sad to see them hurt so badly.
The temperature has remained above freezing today and suppose to stay that way for a few days. We may get snow in a couple days but no more rain. Of course, this is always subject to change.
Surrounding states like Kansas, Iowa and Oklahoma have been hit really hard by ice as well and seem to be worse than Missouri.
My parents winter in Florida and they have had 85 degree weather this week. They are getting a cold spell this weekend and will have 60 degree weather. I don't think they will be getting any ice! Maybe I need a vacation to Florida!
Saturday, December 8, 2007
Mary did you know that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that you've delivered, will soon deliver you.
Mary did you know that your baby boy would calm a storm with his hand?
Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little baby, you have kissed the face of God.
The blind will see, the deaf will hear, the dead will live again.
The lame will leap, the dumb will speak, the praises of the lamb.
Mary did you know that your baby boy would one day rule the nations?
Did you know that your baby boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
This sleeping child you're holding is the great I am.
Friday, December 7, 2007
Check out this White Christmas song sang by santa and his elves.
Thursday, December 6, 2007
4 lb. bag party chicken wings (bought at Aldi's already cut up)
1 1/2 bottles Louisiana Hot Sauce (or any hot sauce you have around that you like)
4 pkgs Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 stick butter, melted
Spread wings in the bottom of a baking dish. Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and pour over wings. Bake at 400 F for an hour or until meat falls off the bone.
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
The kitchen table is decorated with this snowman. He's so cute!
I have a few more decorations to put out and a few more gifts to buy. I haven't baked Christmas goodies yet or wrote my Christmas newsletter. I'm thinking about sending out a newsletter after the New Year instead so that it can include information about the new grand baby. Two birds with one stone sort of thing.
We are possibly getting snow tonight or tomorrow so that should really put me in the Christmas spirit. Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Countdown: 42 days until due date
Monday, December 3, 2007
I've been super busy lately with preparing for my football party and attending two baby showers that were thrown for my daughter. I will post a picture soon from one of the baby showers and list a few things that she received. There are amazing things now being used by the new moms.
Monday, November 26, 2007
Next Saturday Mizzou will be playing Oklahoma for the Big 12 Championship. We lost to Oklahoma earlier in the season so we'll let them have that one and we will win this one! The game is at San Antonio. We need to win this game to stay #1 in the Nation. Chase Daniels, Mizzou's quarterback is awesome, and I know he and the rest of the team will take us to this victory.
What should we have for snacks for the game? Hot chicken wings? Veggie tray? What is your favorite game day foods?
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
Saturday, November 17, 2007
1. What is your occupation? Office Manager
2. Do you like banana sandwiches? No
3. What are you listening to right now? Football game
4. What was the last thing you ate? Triple chocolate cake - I need to share this recipe, it was great.
5. Do you wish on stars? Sometimes for fun if it is a falling star.
6. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Yellow
7. How is the weather right now? Cool
8. Where are you? Home
9. What is your favorite animal? Dogs
10. How old are you today? 48
11. Favorite drink? Iced tea or margaritas? Ice tea
12. Favorite sport to watch? NCAA basketball
13. Have you ever dyed your hair? no
14. Do you wear contacts or glasses? contacts
15. Pets? 4 Labrador Retrievers
16. Favorite month? Any summer month
17. Favorite food? Anything chocolate
18. What was the last movie you watched? American Gangster
19. Favorite day of the year? Christmas
20. What do you do to vent anger? Talk about what’s bothering me to my husband.
21. What was your favorite toy as a child? Paper dolls and Barbies
22. Hugs or kisses? HUGS
23. Cherry or Blueberry? Neither
24. Do you want your friends to email you back? yes
25. Who is most likely to respond? Have no idea
26. Who is least likely to respond? Again, don’t know
27. Living arrangements? Own my own home with my husband
28. When was the last time you cried? Probably Oprah.
29. What is on the floor of your closet? Shoes
30. Who is the friend you have had the longest? Theresa – 15 years
31. What did you do last night? watched a movie and then had friends over for cake
32. What are you afraid of? losing those I love
33. What bugs you? Someone always trying to make themselves look better by putting you down.
34. Plain, cheese or spicy hamburgers? plain
35. Favorite car? Honda’s
36. Number of keys on your key ring? 9 and I’m not even sure what some of them go to
37. How many years or months at your current job? 3 years
38. Favorite day of the week? Saturday
39. How many STATES/PROVINCES have you lived in? 2 – Missouri and Indiana
I tag: Anyone reading this who would like to be tagged. Go for it!
Thursday, November 15, 2007
1/2 small onion, chopped
Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog. Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself. Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs. Let each person know that they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
Seven Random Facts:
- I don't finish the food on my plate. If it is a sandwich, I always leave a corner of the bread.
- I'm a picky eater. Comes from my parents not making me try things because they were wore out with this from my brothers prior to me.
- I'm currently studying Daniel in my weekly Bible Study. This study is kicking my behind!
- I have made a list of "100 things to do before I die". So far I only have 43 on my list. I've got to come up with some more ideas.
- I've been in every state but two. They are Delaware and Alaska.
- I have osteoporosis. I'm young for this but it is in my genes. I'm exercising and taking meds to keep this at bay.
- I have several different pairs of reading glasses to match different outfits. If I have to have them, might as well have some cute ones.
1. Wonderings and Wanderings
2. Just Enjoying Life
3. Day by Day
4. Nanny Kim
5. Profbaugh's Blog
6. Schultz Party of Four
7. Something's Gotta Give
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
I cooked a turkey yesterday with a new stuffing recipe. The turkey was on sale and I wanted to try this new recipe, so turkey sandwiches this week. The stuffing turned out really good. I will post the recipe on my next post.
Thursday, November 8, 2007
Yesterday was my birthday. Not a big year that ends with a 0 or 5, but another year closer. My daughter says my 29 and holding might need to change soon since she is 25!
This is me at about 4. I wish I could remember that photo shoot. That was my first studio picture. I don't think I had another until a Senior in High School.
I'm the baby of the family and the only girl. My brothers think that I was spoiled but I think that my parents just got worn out with my brothers and let some things slide with me! But comparatively speaking to my friends, my parents were very strict.
I look at this picture and think about my new granddaughter that is coming soon. Will she look like this? Will she have wavy hair? Will it be red? Maybe her mom won't cut her bangs as high as mine were cut in this photo!
Sunday, November 4, 2007
We worked on the yard today to get the leaves out ... until tomorrow. Our yard is very large with many trees. One good thing is that we don't have close neighbors, so there is no one that expects our yard to be leaf free or worries about our leaves blowing onto their yard.
Leaves by Elsie BradyHow silently they tumble down
And come to rest upon the ground
To lay a carpet, rich and rare,
Beneath the trees without a care,
Content to sleep, their work well done,
Colors gleaming in the sun.
At other times, they wildly fly
Until they nearly reach the sky.
Twisting, turning through the air
Till all the trees stand stark and bare.
Exhausted, drop to earth below
To wait, like children, for the snow.
Saturday, November 3, 2007
The new upgrade package would get us a new receiver with DVR that would work on two TVs (we have 3 TVs with satellite hooked up) which would eliminate one satellite charge and the local TV charge that we incur would be included in this package. The new DVR cost us $27 to buy ($127 originally but receiving $100 rebate) and $10 dollars less each month because of one less hookup and local stations included! So we upgraded to a much better system with DVR and will be paying $10 less each month - wow!
They also gave us a new XM radio for our patience in working with them on this deal. It took awhile to figure this all out. I think I would have given them a gift, but hey, if they want to give us something, I won't turn it down! Now we have to figure how much this will cost monthly and how it works.
I'm going to love DVR that is for sure. No worries about being home to watch Greys, Survivor, etc. No more commercials! How sweet is this!
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Monday, October 29, 2007
Sunday, October 28, 2007
I mentioned in my previous post about finishing up on sewing my new curtains. I found this material at a garage sale for $1 and this is what the end result was. I'm very pleased. This is a bay window in my dining area.
I also mentioned taking a casserole and birthday cake to my son's house for his birthday. He invited over 4 other guys and my daughter and her husband also joined us. We really enjoyed ourselves and enjoyed seeing where he is staying and getting to know some of his friends. He is my youngest child and will turn 22 on Monday. How can that be? He is working to get his Computer Engineering/Computer Science double major completed. We're very proud of both of our kids and how well they are doing and have done academically.
Here is the recipe for my casserole:
King Ranch Casserole
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
- Volunteer at the hospital tonight. I volunteer every Tuesday evening in the OB Unit. Helping them anyway that I can. Last week I held a baby for a short time! Yeah!
- Make a cake - chocolate or red velvet for my son's upcoming birthday.
- Finish sewing curtains for my kitchen bay window. They are partially up.
- Continue to crochet baby afghan.
- Buy ingredients for son's favorite dinner and start preparations. His dad and I are going to bring dinner to him Saturday night for his birthday celebration. He is staying in a different house this year at school and we haven't seen it yet. Hopefully some of his roommates will also be around to help celebrate and eat the casserole and cake.
- Go out to lunch with my parents tomorrow. They are dropping into town for a doctor's appointment.
- Think about what wall in the living room I want to put my Currier & Ives plates I just bought. (I'll try to take a picture and post after they are up)
- Watch the "View" that I recorded today.
That's all I can think of right now for this week. I guess that is plenty.
Friday, October 19, 2007
I also watched "Survivor". Thursday night seems to be my night for TV. Interesting twist last night. Who's your favorite survivor? I think mine is Frosti at this point. Good kid and seems to know how to play the game both physically and mentally.
Monday, October 15, 2007
Tomorrow I am going to a meeting that Jeannette Walls will be speaking and talking about her book, "The Glass Castle". This is a great memoir and I am looking forward to seeing her and hearing what she has to say.
At the end of the month, I will be attending a prayer conference led by Jennifer Kennedy Dean. She has several books on prayer and is an energetic and knowledgeable speaker. Connect to her website here.
Thursday, October 11, 2007
Tuesday, October 9, 2007
The next day we visited the Biltmore Estates. Click on this link to read more about the Biltmore Estates. We toured the inside by an audio tour and learned about this historic home.
We packed in a lot of siteseeing in a short period of time. Whew! I'd love to go back to the OBX and spend a week walking the beach looking for sea glass and shells, listening to the waves hit against the beach, and reading as the sun goes down.
Monday, September 24, 2007
Anyone have any suggestions on what we should make sure we don't miss? Any great places to see in the Outer Banks? I'm looking forward to seeing the beach, sticking my toes in the sand and water, and taking many, many pictures of the ocean, lighthouses, the Biltmore, the Capitol, and anything else that comes into view!
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
- God's in control.
- God's love isn't based on how many good or bad choices you make.
- Don't panic, pray.
- Panic confirms hopelessness, prayer confirms hope in God.
Thank you Lord for directing me back to this study group and for your continued love.
Sunday, September 16, 2007
Sorry I have not posted lately. I have had a killer cold. First a head cold and now a chest cold. Seemed to start out as an allergy and then got continuously worse. I think I'm on the road to recovery today and hopefully the yuks are behind me.
I have been picking up Little Golden Books lately at garage sales and antique stores. It has been fun looking for the older ones for my collection. My oldest book was published in 1948. These stories never get old. Great illustrations too.
Friday, September 7, 2007
Wednesday, September 5, 2007
Monday, September 3, 2007
Friday, August 31, 2007
I love to go antiquing even if I don't buy anything. Just looking for items I remember in my childhood and seeing what people have to sell is fun for me. I currently am looking for a squeaky toy that my grandmother had around her house. I saw it once at a store in Idaho and I should have bought it then. It is not easy to find. I did see one on e-bay though, so if I don't find one this weekend, I may see if I can purchase that one. I also am looking for this bank that we had in church that when we had a birthday or anniversary, we would put money in for the missionaries. I don't have a picture of that one. It is a tin bank that is blue and has pictures of children on it. It will be fun looking.
On Sunday, we are going to a Cardinals ballgame at Busch Stadium. It is getting to crunch time and hopefully will be a really fun game. Hopefully not too hot! After that, on to spend a night with my parents and a day of picnicking and fishing.
I still plan to put up some pictures from last weekend and hopefully will have some good ones from this weekend to show as well.
Have a great Labor Day Weekend!
Monday, August 27, 2007
Thursday, August 23, 2007
I really love this J Crew shirt in this picture. Doubt it will be at the outlet, but maybe I'll find something else that I really love! Perfectly Pink also had this picture on her blog -- I agree -- great shirt.
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Check Out These Sites
- 1000 Awesome Things
- Battery Brains
- By Faith...Ang Baylis
- Continue the Conversation
- Design Mom
- Diva in the Midwest
- DIY Diaries
- Dulce's Crazy Life
- Embracing My Blessings
- FBC Missions Twitter
- Giggle & Bits
- Homemade by Jill
- If the Crown Fits
- Jen Hatmaker
- Just Enjoying Life
- Krazy Coupon Lady
- Little Birdie Secrets
- Long Roads, Beautiful Trails
- Love, Life & Labradors
- Loving Every Moment
- Money Saving Mom
- Motherhood on a Dime
- Mrs. Preppy
- Nesting Place
- Phil and Lacy
- Pink Coupon Cafe
- Refuge Sewing Society
- Ross Christopher
- Schultz Party of Four
- Skip to My Lou
- Snods Abroad
- Southern Hospitality
- The Long Thread
- Too Wonderful for Me
- Wonderings and Wanderings
- ► 2012 (48)
- ► 2011 (56)
- ► 2010 (77)
- ► 2009 (97)
- ► 2008 (89)
- ▼ December (13)
- ► November (9)
- ► September (6)